homeaboutfoodtravelartreadwatchmusings

Friday, March 2, 2012

NEXT UP: Breezing Through Chicago



Here's the first of many travel posts. Last weekend, I visited a friend who goes to school at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana. Since I flew into Chicago, it seemed only fitting to spend several hours checking out this new city.

I almost didn't make it to Chi-Town (am I allowed to use the nickname now that I visited?) due to wintry weather conditions. Fortunately, my flight only arrived an hour late, so there was still time for my friend to show me some major Chicago sights.

So where does a Chicago newbie go when she only has a few hours to see the city? The top of the former tallest building in the world, of course! For the student discounted price of $17.50, we rode an elevator to the 103rd floor of the Willis Tower, formerly (and more widely) known as the Sears Tower. I must have a thing for going to top floors of tall buildings...

How 'bout that VIEW?
It was a looong way down. There's even a special spot where you stand on a glass floor. This part of the experience is not for the faint-hearted.


But I'm getting ahead of myself. Before going to the skyscraper, we fueled up on a classic Chicago deep dish pizza from Giordanos. Forget stepping on the glass floor of a skyscraper; this pizza is not for the faint-hearted. I wish I could've weighed this monster because it was HUGE. 

Spinach and mushroom cheese pizza from Giordanos, Chicago
We decided on a spinach and mushroom cheese pizza. A generous layer of cheese painted with spicy marinara sauce covered a melty mix of veggies and cheese, and the entire thing was held together by a flaky, buttery crust at least 1/2 an inch thick. Between the two of us, we basically finished the entire pie. And then I got really sick to my stomach. Surprise, surprise. But oh man was it worth it!

My very first slice of Chicago deep dish pizza...followed soon after by my second and third...

I'm so glad I got to experience a deep dish pie in its hometown, but I think I'll stick to my preferred thin-crust version.

Chicago itself seemed like a really exciting place to be; I wish I could have spent more time there! I hope to be back in the future to really explore what Chi-Town has to offer.

Are you familiar with Chicago? Which pizza do you prefer: deep dish or thin crust?

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I did enjoy the pizza when I was in Chicago...but I'm a thin crust kinda girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete