homeaboutfoodtravelartreadwatchmusings

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

NEXT UP: Sunday Brunch at Top of the Hub, Downtown Boston

Any college student knows that the best part of your parents coming to visit is the free restaurant meals and getting driven to CVS to buy the otherwise cumbersome 16-pack of toilet paper.

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating. While it's definitely not the reason I love when my parents visit, it is fun to go out to nice restaurants while a parental unit is in town. Recently, my dad and I chose to eat at Top of the Hub in Downtown Boston.

Situated on the top floor of the Prudential Center, Top of the Hub rests 52 floors above ground. It boasts an array of fancy food and an amazing view of Beantown.

I took this photo myself. Doesn't it make you want to visit Boston?

My dad treated me to the Sunday Brunch which consisted of a Prixe-Fixe menu. Granola? Cinnamon Bread? Chocolate?? Don't mind if I do.


We started off with mimosas and granola. The drink was tasty, but the granola was nothing special to write home (or to write in a blog?) about. Fear not though--I ate the whole thing. For appetizers, I was drawn to the sweet Grapefruit Brulee while Dad picked the savory Arugula Salad. We decided to share (read: I stole food off Dad's plate) and determined that both choices were delish.

Granola; Grapefruit Brulee; Arugula Salad

Up next: eggs! I ordered the Grilled Vegetable Frittata; Dad ordered the Eggs Meurette. Father knew best for this one. I found his dish to be more interesting and unexpected. My frittata was just...a small frittata. A great one, but still.

Vegetable Frittata; Eggs Meurette

My favorite part of any multi-course meal did not disappoint. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (or maybe it does, since my dad's an aerospace engineer) to know that you should order both dessert options when presented with just two choices. I called the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Profiterole. Dad's Chocolate Panna Cotta came out with a birthday candle on it!! I wonder how the waiters knew...

Ice Cream Profiteroles; Chocolate Panna Cotta

The profiteroles were hands-down the best part of the meal. I may even have licked the plate (what, you don't do that in fancy restaurants?). While each portion was modestly sized, I was completely, happily full at the end.

My Conclusion: Top of the Hub's brunch food is great, but I could probably get a more amazing meal at a similarly priced restaurant. However, the jaw-dropping view at Top of the Hub is what really makes the experience worthwhile.


The view, and the amazing company. :-) Love you Dad!


Would you rather splurge on a restaurant with okay food and a breath-taking ambiance/view? Or vice versa? Have you been to any fancy restaurants lately?

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment