homeaboutfoodtravelartreadwatchmusings

Sunday, January 27, 2013

NEXT UP: My Latest Reads

I've read a few books lately that haven't made it onto the blog, so I am doing a quick round-up of reviews. Ch-ch-check it out.

The Creepy, Suspenseful Adventure: The Keeper of Lost Causes


I love getting books as gifts. This one was given to me as a birthday gift, otherwise I may never have picked it up myself. Although I buy a bestselling suspense series now and then (ie: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The DaVinci Code), I usually steer away from such reads. I'm glad this book came into my possession; it was a mesmerizing thriller. Set in Copenhagen, the plot follows Carl Mørck, an old cop who is given the task of re-opening old, cold homicide cases. Although the job is originally created to keep him occupied as he recovers from a recent traumatizing incident, he ends up immersed in investigating the case of a popular, pretty politician who disappeared five years ago. I'm not one for scary movies, and some parts of this book had me cringing and keeping the light on at night (yea so what?), but I really did enjoy racing through the pages to reach the explosive conclusion. Definitely recommended for those who like a good detective novel.


The Humorous, British Book: High Fidelity



I Kindled this book (can Kindled be a new verb, please?) because I'm a fan of Nick Hornby. Some of his books, including this one, have been turned into movies: About a Boy and Fever Pitch. As his first novel, I thought High Fidelity would be a great read. However, I was pretty disappointed. It took me months to get through this book since it didn't have an edge that kept me reading into the night. London record store owner Rob Fleming is dealing with a break-up. He recounts all of his past romantic trysts and their endings, analyzing relationships, men, and women along the way. It was humorous and had a few thoughtful moments, but it just didn't grab me. I wouldn't really recommend this one, although it has received rave reviews from others. Meh. Maybe I'll check out the film adaptation to see if John Cusack can salvage the plot for me. 


The Off-Beat, Quick Read: The Perks of Being a Wallflower



From a book that took me a few months, to a book that took me a few hours...that apparently I've read before! When I was lying in bed not feeling well the other evening, I downloaded this book to help pass the time and occupy my thoughts. Well, it definitely worked. I read the whole thing in one sitting (one lying?). As I breezed through it, I had the strongest sense of déjà vu. Now I'm 99% sure I've read this book at some point, but I'm not sure when! So strange. Anyways, this "coming-of-age story" is written from the viewpoint of 15-year-old Charlie. As he begins high school, two seniors take him under their wing and facilitate his experiences with schoolmates, relationships, fights, etc. The prose expertly conveys the voice of this innocent, introverted kid whose layers are slowly peeled back to uncover a somber past. If I had to recommend a book to read twice (whether on purpose or by accident!), I would surely offer up this one.

And that's all for now, folks!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment